How to move your mail infrastructure away from Lotus Notes

Thursday, 8 January 2015

Remove Encryption Button - By John Vanderhoff

Remove Encryption Button:



'via Blog this'



V&M Home Page 


Remove Encryption Button
The major vendors of all provide a method to remove encryption from mail messages. This is a different problem from removing encryption from an entire Notes database. I have written about this problem before. You can read about the challenges 
HERE

Sometimes we need a stand alone solution. Binary Tree's CMTe - The Audit function will flag the number of encrypted emails. However to run the Audit CMTe must already have been installed, licensed and the users imported into CMTe. 

I prefer to handle the Discovery prior to the planning meetings. All I need is a computer with a Notes client installed and with Excel. You can read about my pre-migration report. It will identify which mail files contain encrypted emails. 

I wrote a button that can be included in the body of a Notes mail message. Even better yet, I created this button as a piece of stationary so that I only had to address the email. 




or if there are no encrypted emails.


Interesting Problem.
Ran into an interesting problem in my test environment. The button was failing with a UIDocument error. I knew that my button has been used by thousands of users. What was difference in my test environment. When I looked at the email that was delivered to the user's mail file. I contained Encrypt = 1, Seal and SealDataThe document was encrypted and it would error when it tried to decrypt itself. 
Looking at the person document, I noted that the person was set to encrypt incoming mail before storing it in their mail file. 


I would have known this if I had run my Pre-Migration Report. Look for the spreadsheet with the sample output on that page. 

If you would like the code for this button and directions for creating Stationary.
Please let me know. Click here> Email requesting Encryption Button 




Author's Background
I am a Notes/Consultant with twenty five years of experience (almost exclusively with Lotus Notes / Domino). My experience with Notes began when I worked as a Senior Computer Consultant for Price Waterhouse. In 1993, I went to work for Lotus Development Corporation as a Senior Notes / Domino Instructor. I started teaching Application Development and System Administration with Version 3. Helped to develop the course materials for Version 4.x and Release 5.x When LotusScript, Javascript and Java were added to Notes/Domino I started teaching these programming languages.

In 1995, IBM acquired Lotus. For several years we were left alone and the culture did not change. It was a lot of fun to work for Lotus. In 1999 the handwriting was on the wall and I decided it was time for me to leave. So I established V&M to do Lotus Notes/Domino Application Development, System Administration and Training. I've been at it ever since. The life of the consultant is constantly changing. It has given me the chance to travel across Canada and the United States, Scotland, England, Bermuda, Jamaica, Barbados and Hawaii. No travel to the Far East yet. Anyone?

For the last six years I have been helping companies move their data from Lotus Notes to the Microsoft platform. 

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Your opinion is important and of value and we appreciate the positive feedback! If you are "Negative Nancy" then please do us, and humanity, a favor, and piss off.

Total Pageviews

Google+ Followers

Pages

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Recent Comments

Rays Twitter feed

Ads

Web sites come and go and information is lost and therefore some pages are archived. @rayd123 . Powered by Blogger.